Despite the technology that goes into family fun now – whether that’s console and PC gaming or using a streaming service to put a film on – board games remain one of the best ways to get any group of people engaged and have time flying for them all. Some are classics and some are new options, but the market is great for board games right now. To help you make your decision, here are some of the best board games around.
Best Board Games on Amazon
How to pick the best board game for you
- Consider the number of players – Different games require different numbers of players to work well. There will always be a minimum and maximum on the box, so make sure you’re getting something that works for you and your friends or family.
- Consider the age range – Some board games might just require a throw of a dice and to move a piece across a board – like Snakes & Ladders – but some might require more strategy – like Monopoly. Either way, if you have younger kids around, make sure you’re getting a board game that’s a good idea for them, or that there’ll be enough adults so that they can get help. On the other scale of things, some board games are just completely geared more towards adults, like some trivia games and mature murder mysteries.
- Consider the playtime – Some board games are great if you have just 15 minutes to kill time, but others can last hours upon end. It might be worth considering how much time you generally have to play and buy accordingly, or get a range of games for each occasion.
- Consider the theme – Many board games have a theme and even many classic board games will have many versions to them that have slight differences, for example all of the different versions of Monopoly.
1. Monopoly: Marvel Avengers Edition
Monopoly is arguably the board game of all board games. This version is the Avengers version, which means it’ll likely work for people of all ages. The character tokens include Iron Man, Captain America, Thor, Hulk, Ant-Man and many more fan favorites from the superhero group. There are unique rules, like instead of buying properties, you’re assembling your own team of heroes. There are Stark Industries and Infinity Gauntlet cards which will bring players good luck or bad luck. Landing on a Child of Thanos means you must fight them. It’s a great twist on the original. Unfortunately, there is no money holder and sometimes the character tokens can be hard to tell apart from a distance.
- Twist on a classic
- Big names for all age ranges to appreciate
- Good quality character tokens
- Tokens can be hard to tell apart
- No money holder
2. Glintoper Tic Tac Toe $ 4 In A Row Set
This wooden set from Glintoper actually includes a pair of different classic games: Connect 4 and Tic Tac Toe. The set is crafted from top quality, non-toxic wooden material and is neatly cut, with no sharp edges for anyone to accidentally cut themselves on. The games are packaged really well too, almost making them look like some sort of antique. The games are also simple enough for children to understand, but fun enough for adults to play along with. One thing worth noting is there are only 4 Os in Tic Tac Toe, but 5 Xs. Of course there are 9 slots on the board, but an even number of each would have been ideal.
- Two sets of classic games
- Great wooden material
- Fun for all ages
- Unequal number of X and O pieces
3. Exploding Kittens
Great Quick Game
This game is popular, but far too new to be considered a classic, which means many people reading this might have never heard of it. Published in 2015, this game blew up pretty quickly – no pun intended. It’s generally for adults, but the box says it’s suitable for 7+ and requires 2-5 players. Don’t be turned off by the fact that you might not know the rules, the game only takes a 15-minute round or two to learn properly. Essentially, you want to avoid drawing an Exploding Kitten and every other card either increases or decreases the risk of this happening. Some have stated that card quality could be better, but with care, you should be okay.
- Easy to learn
- Popular but new
- Card quality could be better
4. UNO, Phase 10 and Pic Flip Bundle Tin
If variety is what you’re after because you want a choice of games, then this set of three card games is a great option. It comes with UNO, Phase 10 and Pic Flip, three games by Mattel. The idea behind the set is that UNO is about number and color matching, Phase 10 is about forming a series of cards and Pic Flip is about matching images, which is three different styles of games testing a range of skills. The boxset would be perfect to travel with if the hundreds of cards within them were individually packaged, but unfortunately they’re not.
- Great variety
- Easy to learn games for many ages
- Different skills in each game
- Cards are not individually packaged
5. ASNEY Magnetic Chess Set
Last but not least is a classic. This magnetic chess set from ASNEY features a board that is 15.6” x 15.6” and is made of premium quality wood with a very strong magnet inside. This reduces the risk of the pieces falling over and you forgetting where you had them placed. The board can also be easily stored away because it is foldable. Also in terms of storage, the slots for the pieces is well made and the entire set can also be placed in a carry bag. If you’re a casual player, this is a great set, but do note that some of the intricate details of the pieces can be a little inconsistent.
- Solid wooden board
- Strong magnets
- Easily stored and travelled with
- Pieces’ details can be inconsistent
More from one37pm
The Biggest March 2024 Video Game Releases
The 14 Best Games Like 'Devil May Cry'
'Penny's Big Breakaway' Review: An Inviting Flashback With Old-School Annoyances
The 11 Best WWE Games of All Time, Ranked
'Sand Land' Game Release Date: Story, Gameplay, and More
Here's a Complete List of 'Batman Arkham' Games in Order