The Dualshock 4 controller that most will know as the PlayStation 4 controller is widely considered to be one of the best games console controllers of all time. A fan favourite, it’s not uncommon to want to customise yours or get some variation of it. Despite the release of the PS5, the Dualshock 4 still works on the console with PS4 games, so it’ll continue to be used. Therefore, we’ve compiled a list of the best PS4 controllers.
5 Best PS4 Controllers on Amazon
How to pick the best PS4 controller for you
- Consider design – This is one of the biggest factors for many. If you’re getting a Sony licensed controller, then your options are limited to a few different solid colors, but if you’re willing to go out there, it feels like you can get almost any design you want on your controller.
- Consider wired vs. wireless – Of course, the Dualshock 4 is a wireless controller that only uses the accompanying wire to connect to the PlayStation in the first place or charge it. But wired PS4 controllers are genuinely something to consider, with many going for them for the faster connection and latency improvement. Of course, this only matters in the most extreme circumstances, so think about what would be best for you.
- Consider shape – The shape of the original Dualshock 4 is iconic and most PS4 controllers on the market – whether they’re licensed by Sony or not – will follow this as a template. However, you can whacky if you want, with the Motion controllers or something bulkier that you think might be more comfortable in-hand.
1. PlayStation PS4 Controller
For many, nothing will beat the original. The standard Dualshock 4 comes in jet black, glacier white, gold, red, midnight blue and green camo. It’s wireless and because it’s an official controller that’s licensed by Sony, you have the benefit of being able to turn your console on with it just by pressing the PS button on the controller. The only battery you need is included and rechargeable and it includes a micro USB terminal and a stereo mini-jack input. Of course, if you have this at the house and have someone round to play, they’re not going to be blown away.
- Can turn the console on
- Available in different colors
- No unique designs
2. Sefitopher PS4 Wired Controller
If you’re a gamer that wants the absolute fastest and most reliable connection, even if it’s a fractional difference, then a wired controller is your best bet. This one from Sefitopher is one of the best ones around. The basic shape of the controller is almost identical to the Dualshock 4, but it also looks uniquely different because of some of the buttons and the blue trim. The length of the cable is 6.5 feet, so you can sit a comfortable distance from your TV screen or monitor if you like. Customer service for this product is also great. It’s worth noting that the analog sticks can be somewhat uncomfortable.
- Long wire
- Good shape
- Analog sticks can be uncomfortable
3. AUGEX PS4 Controller
This 2-pack of PlayStation 4 controllers is a great option for casual gamers. The designs are stunning, unique and even match each other without looking at all similar. They’re stylish without being tacky. For serious gamers though, there will be a minuscule, but noticeable amount of delay sometimes with pressing the buttons.
- Unique design
- Not for serious gamers
4. TERIOS Wireless Controller
This controller by TERIOS is made for serious gamers. It has an ergonomic design that many will find more comfortable and easier to use than the actual Dualshock 4 itself. That’s because the handles are slightly wider, so the analog sticks feel like they’re in a different place. The controller is extremely unique in a few ways. Firstly, because of its turbo button. You can assign it to any button on the controller and one press of it is like repeatedly pressing that button. Second of all, the back of the controller has a flexible replacement for L3 and R3, although they’re not mappable.
- Turbo button
- L3 and R3 buttons on back
- Ergonomic design
- Back L3 and R3 cannot be reassigned
- Not Sony licensed
5. Razer Raiju Tournament Edition
One of the very few PlayStation 4 controllers licensed by Sony but not using their standard Dualshock 4 shape is the Razer Raiju Pro gaming controller. This is a variation of that one, which is almost identical. Razer is a very respected brand in the gaming industry and this controller is an extremely premium option for serious gamers. The mobile app allows you to remap buttons, adjust sensitivity clutch options and fine-tune the vibration. The buttons have a soft touch but a crisp response. There’s also a Hair Trigger mode that can be activated, which means that the mechanical-stop switches greatly reduce travel distance to the triggers. Do note that the wired mode for this controller is the best option to use and there’s no option to dim the light on the controller which is quite bright.
- Great adjustability
- Soft buttons
- Hair Trigger mode
- Wireless and wired available
- Can’t dim the light
- Wireless mode doesn’t have a fast response time
ONE37pm may earn compensation through affiliate links in this story.