We’re officially starting the summer season, which means if people are going to be getting a whiff of you, you want it to be a good one. A nice-scented cologne can be a great way to leave a favorable impression amongst those in your vicinity, and as you can imagine there are hundreds of scents to choose from. Nothing accompanies your blazers, polo shirts, and suits quite like a cool scent, and we’ve given you the gift of rounding up the best colognes for men in the year 2023. These colognes are current and come highly reviewed, rated, and tested. Before we get into the selections, however, let’s take a look at some of the basics you need to know while cologne shopping.
The 31 Best Colognes for Men to Try in 2023
Ready to smell good? We got you!
What to Look for in a Cologne?
Other than obviously making sure the scent of the fragrance is one that you like, there are a few other factors for you to consider when purchasing a cologne. Since you aren’t going to be able to actually smell the colognes you’re considering in person, we’re going to break down the specs one by one for you.
Scents: With scents, it’s important to note that spring and summer colognes tend to have a citrus or floral-like tropical smell that reminds you of all the things we associate with warm weather (vacations, picnics, the beach etc). Winter fragrances tend to be warmer with woody and earthy scents. It’s kind of like the scents sold in stores that you purchase for your bedroom and bathroom. The floral/citrus ones are meant for the summer, and the mint/wood ones are for the winter.
Concentration: Concentration can be a tricky thing to understand, but it's essentially terms to describe how the long cologne lasts. There are four categories scents are divided into when it comes to classification: eau de cologne, eau de toilette, parfum, and eau de parfum. Eau de cologne is the lightest scent as it's estimated to have 1 to 5% concentration, and will last you roughly 1.5 hours. Eau de toilette is slightly stronger but still light with 8 to 12% concentration that will last you roughly 2 to 3 hours.
Eau de parfum is the second strongest with about 12 to 20% concentration that will last you 5 to 6 hours, and parfum is the strongest with an estimated 20 to 40% concentration that will last you about 8 hours.
Consider your climate: Believe it or not, where you live can also impact what type of cologne you purchase. For example, if you live in a place where the climate is hot year-round, it would probably be wise to invest in a cologne with a parfum concentration as those tend to be strong enough to last you the entire day. Otherwise, you could end up having to regularly replace your cologne which could get pricey.
Price: Speaking of price, you'll lastly want to factor in your budget. We can't tell you what to spend or what not to spend on colognes as that is entirely dependent upon your individual budget, but we can give you recommendations in every price range, which is something you will see below.
The Best Colognes for Men, at a Glance
- Best Overall - Dior SAUVAGE, $120
- Runner-Up - Armani Acqua Di Giò, $155
- Best Scent for Summer - Elysium Parfum Cologne, $315
- Best Date Night Cologne - Mister Marvelous Eau de Parfum, $290
- Best for the Office - Tom Ford Black Orchid Parfum, $180
- Best for Cooler Weather - YSL L' Homme Eau de Parfum, $106
- Best Casual Fragrance - Jo Malone London Myrrh & Tonka Cologne, $160
- Most Affordable Cologne - Tommy Fragrance, $41.40
- Best Layerable Scent - Creed Aventus Fragrance, $95 - $1,260
- Best Luxury Cologne - Clive Christian Original Collection X, $550
- Top Notes: Pepper, Calabrian Bergmot | Middle Notes: Vetiver, Patchouli, Geranium, Elemi, Sichuan Pepper, Lavender, Pink Pepper | Base Notes: Ambroxan, Cedar and Labdanum | Sizes: 1.0 oz, 3.4 oz, 2.0 oz, 6.8 oz | Type: Eau de Toilette | Price: $120
Not only is Dior SAUVAGE a sexy scent, it's actually one of the most sexiest scents of all time with its citrus blend and nature woody mixtures of resinous elemi and ambroxan. A couple sprays of this, and you'll instantly be on Johnny Depp's level.
2. Armani Acqua Di Giò
- Top Notes: Lime, Lemon, Bergamot, Jasmine, Orange, Mandarin Orange and Neroli | Middle Notes: Cyclamen, Coriander, Violet, Nutmeg, Rose, Mignonette, Jasmine, Calone, Peach, Freesia, Rosemary, Hiacynth | Base Notes: White Musk, Cedar, Oakmoss, Patchouli and Amber | Sizes: 1.4 oz, 2.4 oz, 4.3 oz | Type: Eau de Parfum | Price: $155
Our runner-up is none other than Armani Acqua Di Giò, whose overall scent inspired by the intensity, mystery, and depth of the deep blue sea. We personally recommend Acqua Di Giò for those who haven't found their signature scent because, well, Acqua Di Giò very much has signature scent capabilities.
Best Scent for Summer
- Top Notes: Grapefruit, Lemon, Bergamot, Lime, Thyme, Artemisia and Galbanum | Middle Notes: Vetiver, Juniper Berries, Black Currant, Apple, Pink Pepper, Cedar, Cypriol Oil or Nagarmotha, Lily-of-the-Valley, Rose and Jasmine | Base Notes: Labdanum, Leather, Vanilla, Benzoin, Ambergris | Sizes: 3.4 oz | Type: Parfum | Price: $315
Elysium Parfum Cologne is one of those scents that smells exactly like it looks if that makes sense. It looks like the ocean, it looks like an exquisite restaurant, it looks like a palace, and that's exactly what it smells like—the ocean, an exquisite restaurant, and an elegant palace. A well spent $315 in our opinion.
Best Date Night Cologne
- Top Notes: Neroli and Petit Grain | Middle Notes: Lavender and Bamboo | Base Notes: Virginia Cedar and Amber | Sizes: 3.4 oz | Type: Eau de Parfum | Price: $290
A captivating cologne shaped by top notes of neroli and petit grain, middle notes of lavender and bamboo, and base notes of Virginia Cedar and amber blending together to give you a fragrance that is powerful and sexy.
Best for the Office
- Top Notes: Bergamot, Lemon, Mandarin, Ylang-ylang, Blackcurrant | Middle Notes: Lotus Wood, Orchid, Fruity Notes, Floral Notes | Base Notes: Sandalwood, Chocolate, Incense, Patchouli, Vetiver | Sizes: 1.7 oz, 3.4 oz | Type: Parfum | Price: $180
Another long-lasting parfum scent to add to this list is the classic Tom Ford Black Orchid—a well respected scent in the fragrance world that has certainly made an impact. Due to its parfum label, the cologne lasts roughly six to eight hours before having to reapply, making this a good under $200 fragrance investment.
Best for Cooler Weather
- Top Notes: Bergamot, Bitter Orange | Middle Notes: Geranium and Lavender | Base Notes: N/A | Sizes: 1.7 oz, 3.4 oz | Type: Parfum | Price: $106
Yves Saint Laurent's Homme de Parfum is a nifty little affordable fragrance that you should consider picking up for the cooler months. While you can wear the fragrance all year round, we personally recommend for the fall and winter due to its wood-like blend of bergamot, bitter orange, lavender, and geranium. A wonderful scent while you sit by the fireplace during the cold winter nights.
Best Casual Fragrance
- Top Notes: Lavender | Middle Notes: Myrrh | Base Notes: Tonka Bean, Vanilla and Almond | Sizes: 1.7 oz, 3.4 oz | Type: Parfum | Price: $160
If you haven't already copped your cologne for the summer, allow us to suggest the Jo Malone London Myrrh & Tonka Cologne as it's alluring, warm, and distinctive. The price is a solid one too considering the quality of the fragrance you're getting.
Most Affordable Cologne
- Top Notes: Lavender, Mint, Grapefruit, Bergamot | Middle Notes: Cranberry and Rose, Cranberry and Apple | Base Notes: Cactus and Amber, Cottonflower | Sizes: 3.4 oz | Type: Eau de Toilette | Price: $41.40
If you want to smell like a slightly more modern version of the 1990s and 2000s, then you can rock with the Tommy Fragrance—a cologne that is cool, smooth, retro, and fresh with its lavender, cranberry, and apple blend.
Best Layerable Scent
- Top Notes: Pineapple, Bergamot, Black Currant and Apple | Middle Notes: Moroccan Jasmine, Rose, Patchouli, Rose, Moroccan Jasmine, Birch | Base Notes: Musk, Oak Moss, Ambergris and Vanille | Sizes: 0.34 oz, 1.7 oz, 3.3 oz, 8.4 oz | Type: Eau de Parfum | Price: $95 - $1,260
Creed Aventus is what we call a tried and true go-to—a cologne classic if you will. The rich fruity properties eclectic blend of scents is part of what has made this such an attractive cologne for years upon years, and there's enough to last you a very long time if you purchase the 8.4 oz bottle.
Best Luxury Cologne
- Top Notes: Pineapple, Bergamot, Rhuburb | Middle Notes: Paprika, Iris, and Jasmine | Base Notes: Cinnamon, Oakmoss, Amber, Vetiver, Styrax, Vanilla, French, Virginia Cedar | Sizes: 3.4 oz | Type: Parfum | Price: $550
The Clive Christian Original Collection X cologne exudes masculinity. Anchored by it's top notes of pineapple, bergamot, and rhuburb, and its middle notes of paprika, iris, and jasmine, this cologne requires you to spend more than some others, but the reviews say it's definitely worth the $550 price.
- Top Notes: Bergamot, Mandarin Orange, Lemon, Lavender | Middle Notes: Sage, Juniper Berries, Basil, Geranium, Coriander, Jasmine, Orange Blossom, Lily-of-the-Valley and Lily | Base Notes: Sandalwood, Vetiver, Musk, Brazilian Rosewood and Amber | Sizes: 1.7 oz, 3.4 oz | Type: Eau de Parfum | Price: $84 - $109
What originally launched as a woman's fragrance in 1988, Eternity has since taken over as one of the go-to men's fragrances. It's safe to say every cologne wearing man has at the very least tried Eternity, and that means if you aren't in this category you should definitely change that soon.
- Top Notes: Myrrh, Vetiver and peyote | Middle Notes: SCedar, Black Pepper and Patchouli | Base Notes: Gurjan balsam, Incense and Agarwood | Sizes: 75 ml | Type: Parfum | Price: $365
Another parfum option that will last you all or most of the day. The perfume is a collaboration with world renowned Perfumer Carlos Benaïm and is part of House of Bō’s New Tesoro Collection. Trust us when we say it smell amazing.
- Top Notes: Mint, Green Apple and Lemon | Middle Notes: Tonka Bean, Ambroxan and Geranium | Base Notes: Madagascar Vanilla, Virginian Cedar, Atlas Cedar, Vetiver and Oakmoss | Sizes: 3.4 oz, 1.7 oz, 6.7 oz | Type: Eau de Toilette | Price: $96
Versace Eros has been thriving as one of the top colognes for men since 1992—that's over thirty years of dominance folks. Three decades in, Eros remains the standard for cologne that naturally emits love and sensuality as it has layerable scent and warm and cool mixtures. Versace Eros is always a good choice.
- Top Notes: Lavender, Black Pepper, Bergamot | Middle Notes: Cinnamon and Orris Cloves | Base Notes: Black Vanilla Husk, Tolu Balsam, Tonka Bean, Benzoin and Patchoulis | Sizes: 60 ml, 100 ml | Type: Eau de Parfum | Price: $101
Givenchy Gentlemen just oozes with appeal as blends together floral sophistication with a woody scent for a rare smell that you are unlikely to get with any other cologne. From the bottle (which honestly looks like it could be mistaken for a bottle of whisky), to the scent, Givenchy Gentlemen has you hooked all the way through.
- Top Notes: Citrus notes Pink pepper Vetiver | Middle Notes: Grapefruit Cedar Labdanum | Base Notes: Ginger, Sandalwood, Frankincense | Sizes: 3.4 oz, 1.7 oz, 5 oz | Type: Eau de Toilette | Price: $120
Bleu de Chanel is also another staple in the cologne community, and if you are a fan of the Chanel brand as a whole, it is definitely worth trying out just for the experience. The cologne has a citrus blend mixed in with light woody scent to give you an airy smell that will people asking what cologne you are wearing for sure.
- Top Notes: Mineral notes, Violet Leaf and Salt | Middle Notes: Sage and Ginger | Base Notes: Vetiver and Woody Notes | Sizes: 50 ml, 100 ml | Type: Eau de Toilette | Price: $96 - $115
Valentino's Uomo Born in Roma is our sugar, spice, and everything nice selection with its mineral notes and sage and ginger mixes. Uomo Born Roma is a fragrance that exudes confidence, which in turn will have you exuding confidence into whatever rooms you walk into while wearing it.
- Top Notes: Lavender, Clary Sage, and Ginger | Middle Notes: Green Apple, Mint, Cardamon | Base Notes: Vetiver Heart, Patchouli Oil, Cashmera | Sizes: 0.34 oz, 1 oz, 1.7 oz, 3.4 oz | Type: Eau de Parfum | Price: $65
Considering the impeccable quality and smell of this fragrance, $65 as a starter price for this cologne almost seems like a steal. In fact, it is a steal. All of the notes bring it home to give this cologne a unique smell that is very much unmatched, and it is easily layerable as well. We can't see how you would say no.
- Top Notes: Apple, Plum, Lemon, Bergamot, Oakmoss and Geranium | Middle Notes: Mahogany, Carnation, Cinnamon | Base Notes: Vanilla, Sandalwood, Cedar, Vetiver and Olive Tree| Sizes: 3.3 oz | Type: Eau de Toilette | Price: $104
Need to boss up so you can get the cost up for that upcoming date, job interview, work presentation, or dinner that you have to go to? Take this signature scent with you. You'll thank us for the suggestion later.
- Top Notes: Mandarin Orange, Tarragon, Rosemary and Basil | Middle Notes: Anise, Neroli, Geranium and Lily-of-the-Valley | Base Notes: Vanilla, Almond, Tonka Bean, Benzoin and Cedar | Sizes: 3.3 oz | Type: Eau de Toilette | Price: $59
Is it too corny to say that people will be doing math equations to figure out why you smell so good? Oh well, we'll take the corniness. Since its release in 1999, PI has been amongst one of the most beloved Givenchy scents, blending together a vanilla, almond, and citrus smell that is oh so good and will have you reapplying through the day.
- Top Notes: Italian bergamot, Pink Berries, Elemi, Indonesian Nutmeg, Pear, Cloves | Middle Notes: Neoabsolut Orpur Rose, Flax Flowers, Cashmeran, Magnolia | Base Notes: Haiti Orpur Vetiver, Ambermax, Sylkolide | Sizes: 50 ml | Type: Eau de Parfum | Price: $76
The design of this bottle alone should be enough to sell you (you have to admit the Teddy Bear Design is epic), but if somehow that isn't enough, Moschino Toy Boy smells incredibly good. Are you sold now? Great! We've done our jobs.
- Top Notes: Lavender, Mint, Cardamom, Bergamot, Artemisia | Middle Notes: Orange Blossom, Caraway, Cinnamon | Base Notes: Tonka Bean, Amber, Sandalwood, Cedar, Vanilla | Sizes: 2.5 oz, 4.2 oz, 6.7 oz | Type: Eau de Parfum | Price: $90
Speaking of cologne bottle that leave with no choice but to pay attention to, "Le Male" is an instantly recognizable scent that has been in action for Jean Paul Gaultier since 1995. A playful sexy scent that is strong but not to the point where it can elicit sneezes (which is a good thing by the way).
- Top Notes: Bergamot Essence, Aldehydes, Ginger Essence | Middle Notes: French Lavender, Geranium from Madagascar, Clary sage from Provence | Base Notes: Cedar Essence, Boswellian Frankincense, Ambergris, Vanilla | Sizes: 10 ml, 60 ml | Type: Eau de Toilette | Price: $32 - $98
Another option from YSL sure to tickle your fancy. Having launched in 2022, this is one of the newer fragrance releases from the luxury fashion house, but it's already looking like it's going to have the longevity of its predecessors.
- Top Notes: Grapefruit, Apple Blossom, Cardamom | Middle Notes: Salt, Geranium, Sea Notes | Base Notes: Tonka Bean and Balsam Fir | Sizes: 3.4 oz | Type: Eau de Toilette | Price: $53.89
We never imagined that there would one day be a Mercedes Benz cologne, but low and behold here we are. And here you are looking at it wondering if you should bite the bullet and purchase. You have our full support.
Top Notes: Neroli, Mint, Galbanol | Middle Notes: Lavender, Rosemary | Base Notes: Vetiver, Musk | Sizes: 3.4 oz | Type: Eau de Cologne | Price: $185
The origins of Acqua di Parma dates all the way back to 1916, and in the hundred-plus years this fragrance has been around it has never strayed too far from its original scent. Can you can say it's been true to the game.
- Top Notes: Lavender and Bitter Orange | Middle Notes: Mint and Clary Sage | Base Notes: Ambroxan, Ambrette | Sizes: 1.7 oz, 3.4 oz | Type: Eau de Toilette | Price: $95 - $115
Honing in on an aromatic scent that dynamic and sporty, Prada's Luna Rossa is a sophisticated fragrance that has a relaxed smell that isn't too strong, but still strong enough to where cologne enthusiasts will know exactly what you are wearing.
- Top Notes: Rosewood, Cardamom, Chinese Pepper | Middle Notes: Sandalwood, Vetiver | Base Notes: Tonka Bean, Vanilla, Amber | Sizes: 30 ml, 50 ml, 100, ml, 250 ml | Type: Eau de Parfum | Price: $180 - $825
Tom Ford's Oud Wood will have you dropping checkmates on your opponents with its winning chess piece design and elaborate scent—which also consists of Chinese Pepper.
- Top Notes: Neroli, Lemon, Pink Pepper | Middle Notes: Java Vetiver Oil, Clary Sage | Base Notes: Tobacco Leaf, Vanilla Bean, Styrax | Sizes: 0.34oz, 1oz, 3.40z | Type: Eau de Toilette | Price: $85 - $160
How about a jazzy cologne to help prepare you for a jazzy summer. You'll want to smell good wherever you are going, and Maison Margiela's "REPLICA" definitely helps you to achieve that. Once again, you'll be thanking us later.
- Top Notes: Ambrox, Bergamot, Grapefruit | Middle Notes: Black Pepper, Papyrus Wood, Incense, Mineral Musk, Tonka Beans, Saffron | Base Notes: Musk, Amber, Tonka Bean | Sizes: 100 ml | Type: Eau de Toilette | Price: $96
Are you even a perfume enthusiast if you haven't owned Versace Dylan Blue Pour Homme at some point in your life? The answer is no. And if you haven't ever worn Versace Dylan Blue Pour Homme, it's time to change that. You have everything you need right in front of you to go on ahead and purchase right. now.
- Top Notes: Black Pepper, White Pepper and Bergamot | Middle Notes: Cedar, Sage | Base Notes: Amberwood, Cacao, Tonka Bean | Sizes: 1.70z, 50ML | Type: Eau de Toilette | Price: $85 - $109
You can either choose to enter your bad boy era with Carolina Herrera's "Bad Boy" fragrance now or later. We recommend now.
- Top Notes: Camellia, Nutmeg, Lime | Middle Notes: Violet, Lemon, Iris and Mandarin Orange | Base Notes: Amber, Rose, Juniper Berries, Mandarin Orange | Sizes: 1.70z, 50ML, 100ML | Type: Eau de Parfum | Price: $195
Elorea creates all the fire and desire needed with their FIRE cologne which is loaded with notable ingredients including camellia, nutmeg, lemon, violet, juniper berries, and more. Definitely cop this if you want a mysterious alluring smell.
- Top Notes: Lavender, Bergamot, Clary Sage | Middle Notes: Praline and Saffron | Base Notes: Agarwood, Cedar | Sizes: 4.2 oz | Type: Eau de Parfum | Price: $410
Haltane Eau de Parfum. It's going to cost you dropping a few Benjamins, but rest assured your money will be well spent.
When to Wear Cologne:
There isn't a designated time on when you should or shouldn't wear cologne. You can put it on anytime you wish. That said, cologne often makes the most sense for an event when you want to look your best—and smell your best too.
How to Apply Cologne:
If you haven't already tested the product, you can either swipe a little bit from the top using your finger, or you can spray a small amount on your wrist. From there, you can spritz about four or five times to achieve a smell that is powerful, but not overpowering.
It's important to apply cologne on dry skin, and apply it to the heated areas of your body—neck, chest, forearms, etc. You should hold the spray bottle 3-6 inches away from your body when applying. It's a good rule of thumb to air on the less is more rule, and then apply more if needed.
Other Cologne FAQs:
What's the difference between a cologne, fragrance and perfume?
While they might all seem like the same thing, there's actually some notable difference between colognes, fragrances, and perfumes—they all last different lengths of time. Perfumes have the strongest concentration so they last longer than colognes, and a fragrance is actually defined as a combination of organic compounds to produce a smell or odor.
What colognes should you wear in summer, winter, fall and spring?
As we mentioned earlier, there is no set time that you should wear colognes, but cooler scents tend to work best in the spring and summer seasons, whereas warmer scents go along great with winter and fall.
What does 'concentration' mean on cologne?
When it comes to colognes, concentration simply means how powerful the cologne is. The strength of the cologne so to speak. The higher the concentration, the longer the scent will last.
How often should you apply cologne?
There's no right or wrong answer here. You can apply as often as you feel necessary, but be careful to not over-apply.
More from one37pm
The 23 Best Polo Shirts for Men to Wear in 2023 That Are a Must
Inv.sion is Far More Than a Clothing Brand, It's an Idea Lab
The 20 Best Brands like Supreme for Premium Streetwear
The 26 Best Graphic Tees for Men to Rock Every Season
20 NYC Streetwear Brands to Keep an Eye On
The 16 Best Affordable Watch Brands to Shop Right Now