The shorts you’re wearing while training can be make or break with your workout. The wrong pair can mean you don’t have full movement and can’t get good form with whatever you’re doing. To help you avoid that, we’ve compiled a list of the five best training shorts for freedom of movement.
Best Training Shorts for Freedom of Movement on Amazon
How to pick the best training shorts for you
- Consider fabric – This is incredibly important, not only because it contributes to how comfortable you are, but other factors like breathability and moisture wicking. If you sweat a lot, perhaps you want a material that will be slightly resistant to them. You also don’t want a material that’s only going to cause you to sweat more.
- Consider pockets – If you want to have your phone with you, or a flannel or a hair tie, then you might need your training shorts to have a pocket or two on them.
- Consider design – Style won’t directly help with your training, but looking good does mean feeling good. No-one wants to look bad, even while working out. Design can mean patterns or just a cool color.
- Consider fit – Freedom of movement can mean that your training shorts are either baggy enough to allow flexibility or hugging your legs so much that you can move as though you weren’t even wearing them. Both styles have their own pros and cons, so figure out what suits you.
1. FLYFIREFLY Men's Workout Running Shorts (Top Pick)
This first pair of training shorts by FLYFIREFLY are 95% polyamide and 5% polyester. They’re soft, light in weight and breathable. These shorts are great because they’re layered. The inner layer very elastic and hugs your thigh while the outer layer is a mesh fabric. The inner layer features a pocket which you can fit your phone in, but some have said is a little too big, meaning an average-sized phone will bounce around a little.
- Breathable, lightweight material
- Pocket is too big
2. Lixada Men's 2-in-1 Running Shorts Quick Drying Breathable Active Training Exercise Jogging Cycling Shorts Grey (Great for Everything)
This next pair of shorts is also a 2-in-1 option. These are 100% polyester and have an elastic closure with an internal drawstring. The lining here is smooth and the shorts have reinforced stitching, meaning they’re able to withstand a little more wear and are more durable. The mesh means you can stay cool during your workout but if you do work up a sweat, the moisture wicking will mean that you won’t feel uncomfortable. The back also has a zipped pocket, but it can be a little uncomfortable to fill it with anything with some weight.
- Reinforced stitching
- Moisture wicking
- Pocket is in a strange location
3. BALEAF Running Athletic Shorts (Most Versatile)
These training shorts by BALEAF are 95% polyester and 5% spandex, while the liner is 92% polyester and 8% spandex. There is an inner drawcord for you to adjust with and while the shorts don’t have moisture wicking capabilities, they are known to dry quite quickly. There are not one, not two but three pockets, with the back pocket being zipped. The back pocket is too small for a medium to big sized phone and some have said that the shorts are a little too baggy.
- Dry quickly
- Three pockets
- Multiple colors
- Back pocket is small
- Shorts are too baggy for some
4. Anthem Athletics Gym Shorts (All Around Useful)
Anthem Athletics’ 7” training shorts for men are made with durability and quality in mind. If your workouts are known to be tough, these are for you The shorts are handcrafted from material that is strong, but stretchy and soft. The zippers on the pockets are reinforced and made by YKK, a very respected brand. The length is great too, because they won’t catch on your knees when you squat, sitting just above them for most. The designs leave a little to be desired.
- Very durable
- Deep pockets with zippers
- Designs are lacking
5. Nike Training Shorts (Also Consider)
Last but not least are the Nike Men’s Dry Training Shorts. Everyone knows this brand, so you won’t have a problem looking stylish in the gym. These shorts are 100% polyester and feature the brand’s famous Dri-FIT technology which moves sweat away from your skin to the surface of the fabric so that you don’t feel it and it dries quicker. The mesh pockets mean that air will get to anything you keep inside them. Keep in mind that these run a little small and tight, so sizing could be an issue.
- Dri-FIT technology
- Breathable pockets
- Great design
- Sizing can be tricky
ONE37pm may earn compensation through affiliate links in this story.