Looking for a nice pair of pants that have the comfort of your most comfortable denim, but aren't exactly jeans? They're called chinos baby, and every man needs at least two pairs in his closet. Finding the right pair of chinos is what we'll call semi-difficult. If you have all the right information needed and a general idea of what you are looking for in terms of fit, style, and cut, then shopping for chinos can be a easy process. That said, finding exactly what you are looking for in terms of features and details is where it can slightly difficult. Don't worry fellas! We know how much of a grind it can be searching for this stuff, so we did the work for you. We've rounded up the best chinos for men when jeans won't cut it.
The 18 Best Chinos for Men: When Jeans Won't Cut It
What We Looked For to Select the Best Men's Chinos:
- Sizing: Sizing is something that you'll want to take into consideration as you'll want the pants to have a relatively slim-fit. Pay attention to how each brand sizes in terms of their waist and length, and it might help to read the review.
- Cut: The overall cut is something to pay attention to as well. Some of you might like your pants in a little of bit of high water style, while others like their pants longer. It's up to you, but make sure the cut is the way you like it.
- Material: Cotton twill fabric is the most common and best material for chinos. Sometimes linen and bamboo will be used for chinos, but cotton/cotton twill is the most common.
- Pleats vs Flat Front: Pleated pants tend to have a higher rise which result in the pants being worn higher in the waist area. Flat front pants tend to be worn lower to result in a slimmer look. Which one you prefer is up to you.
- Color: The color is completely up to you! We tend to associate chinos with warmer colors like brown and green, but they come in a variety of colors.
A Shopping Guide to the Best Chinos for Men:
- Best Overall Chinos for Men - Ralph Lauren RRL Officer Chino Pant, $245
- Best Chinos for Work - Charles Tyrwhitt Ultimate Non-Iron Chinos, $69
- Another Chinos Workwear Option - Dockers Easy Stretch Khakis, $39.99
- An Affordable Chinos Option - Dickies 874 Work Pant, $29.99
- A Slim-Fit Chinos Option - Aeropostale Slim Straight Chinos, $32
- Also Great - Polo Ralph Lauren Washed Stretch Slim Fit Chino Pants, $59.99
- Best Stretch Chinos - Mugsy Teddy Chinos, $118
- Best Pleated Chinos - Everlane Organic Cotton Pleated Chino, $108
Best Overall Chino for Men
- Sizing: 28-40 | Cut: Slim-Fit | Material: Cotton | Pleats vs Flat Front: Flat Front | Color: New Military Khaki, Olive
If you are a fan of Ralph Lauren products, then you'll almost certainly like their Officer Chino Pant which is made with 100% cotton, and built for a slim-fit that sits slightly below the waistline. There's the option of choosing either the New Military Khaki or Olive colors (both of which make for versatile pieces), and cotton material makes this is a very comfortable wear.
Best Chino for Work
- Sizing: 28-44 | Cut: Slim-Fit | Material: 97% Cotton, 3% Elastane | Pleats vs Flat Front: Flat Front | Color: Tan, Camel, Green, Heather Blue, Wine Red, and 9 others
These bestselling chinos from Charles Tyrwhitt are a great option for the workplace as they are very comfortable, have slim-fit that is flattering but isn't too slim to the point of not being office appropriate, and comes with multiple colors to choose from. If you are unsure whether or not the slim-fit will work for you, then you can rock with the regular fit. On the flip side, if you think the standard slim-fit is going to be too big, then Charles Tyrwhitt gives you an extra slim option as well.
Another Chino Workwear Option
- Sizing: 30-44 | Cut: Classic Fit | Material: 64% Cotton, 34% Polyester, 2% Elastane | Pleats vs Flat Front: Flat Front | Color: Khaki, Black, Dark Pebble, Navy, Burma Grey, Cloud
These classic chinos from Dockers come stretch ready to have you looking and feeling good at all times. Constructed with a cotton, polyester, and elastane fit, Dockers have become known over the decades for their easy straight lines, and the Easy Stretch Pants are no different. A great buy for a great price.
An Affordable Chino Option
- Sizing: 30-46 | Cut: Relaxed Fit | Material: 65% Polyester, 35% Cotton | Pleats vs Flat Front: Flat Front | Color: Khaki, Airforce Blue, Black, Charcoal Gray, Dark Brown, and 5 others
Another affordable option that also doubles as great for the office are the Original 874 Workpants from Dickies which have been recognized and respected for the last 60 years. The pants are high rise, sit on the waist, and have a relaxed fit with slightly tapered legs. The wrinkle and stain-resistant fabric is also another bonus as it ensures you'll be able to wear the pants for a long time. Not bad for $30.
A Slim-Fit Chino Option
- Sizing: 27 x 28 - 42 x 32 | Cut: Slim-Fit | Material: 97% Cotton, 3% Spandex | Pleats vs Flat Front: Flat Front | Color: Hazelnut, Sandalwood, Deep Navy, Camo Green, Black Fox, Copper Brown, Grey Fog
Aeropostale has some nice chino options for men, including their Slim Straight Chinos which come in an assortment of colors, and are very comfortable with their cotton material. The slight spandex also adds a slight bit of stretch to give you some extra room for movement if needed.
- Sizing: 32 x 32, 38 x 32 | Cut: Slim-Fit | Material: Cotton Twill | Pleats vs Flat Front: Flat Front | Color: Light Navy, Deckwash White, Perfect Gray, Pale Red
Polo Ralph is always a good choice, and their Washed Stretch Slim Fit Chino Pants come affordable, well-designed, and are a versatile piece that you can add into your lineup and pair with just about anything. There's multiple colors at your disposal, and the reviews are quite high.
Best Stretch Chinos
- Sizing: 28-44 | Cut: Relaxed | Material: Cotton Twill | Pleats vs Flat Front: Flat Front | Color: Dark Blue, Light Khaki, Olive, Khaki, Peach, and 14 others
We're about to enter the dog days of summer, which means...you're going to need a pair of Teddys. Made with flexible, comfortable and soft chino fabric, these chinos are also highly rated and come in lots of fun colors that you can mix, match, and play around with.
Best Pleated Chino
- Sizing: 29-36 | Cut: Relaxed | Material: Organic Cotton | Pleats vs Flat Front: Pleated | Color: Deep Navy, Toasted Coconut, and Trench Coat
Let's get a pleated chino option in here shall we? Everlane is, well, Everlane, so you already know that you are getting a quality sustainable chinos option that perfectly balances style and protecting the environment. Additionally, these chinos two front-slant pockets and back welt pockets with a button closure, and a zipper front and button closure as extra features.
- Sizing: 32-36 | Cut: Relaxed | Material: 98% Cotton, 2% Elastane | Pleats vs Flat Front: Pleated | Color: Vintage Khaki, Military Olive, Dark Navy, Black, Oat Milk, Dark Khaki
The reviews on these Standard Pleated Pants from Alex Mill are great, which is to be expected from the brand as they are renowned for their quality offerings. Their five different colors available, and tons you can do with these pants in terms of styling, so we'll take them.
- Sizing: S-XXL | Cut: Slim-Fit | Material: 90% Tencel, 10% Linen | Pleats vs Flat Front: Flat Front | Color: Black, Angora, Vetiver, Tea Leaf
Australian brand Venroy offers a solid chino that's slightly luxury and slightly casual. The Men's Tencel Lounge Pants is an easy everyday pant made with lightweight tencel. The pants are designed to be straight-leg slim-fit, giving you the perfect mixture of slim and loose.
- Sizing: 28/32 - 36/34 | Cut: Relaxed | Material: Cotton | Pleats vs Flat Front: Flat Front | Color: Khaki, Olive, Black, White, Navy, Indigo
Todd Snyder's motto is "If you want a better chino, sometimes you have to design it yourself." The Japanese Relaxed Fit Selvedge Jeans pull together many of the classic elements the brand is known for, and has a speciality fabric imported from Japan’s famed Kuroki Mill that recreates the dry-yet-soft feel of a vintage military khaki.
- Sizing: 30-34 | Cut: Classic | Material: Cotton | Pleats vs Flat Front: Flat Front | Color: Carbon Navy, Khaki, Dark Khaki, Quarry Gray, Shale Gray
These chinos from L.L. Bean check all the boxes. Comfortable, durable, affordable, and wrinkle-free. Out of everything we just listed, the wrinkle-free stands out the most to us because who wants wrinkles?
- Sizing: 28-42 | Cut: Slim-Fit | Material: Cotton | Pleats vs Flat Front: Flat Front | Color: Rich Earth, Oyster Pearl, Black, Flint Grey, Preppy Navy
The Slim Lived-In Chino is exactly that. Slim and Lived-In. Crafted with rich soft cotton that provides the ultimate comfort, these bad boys are a must have considering you are only spending roughly $50.
- Sizing: 29-38 | Cut: Athletic | Material: Nylon / Spandex Performance Blend | Pleats vs Flat Front: Flat Front | Color: Khaki
The Athletic Fit Stretch Tech Chino blends together fit and comfort as they are specifically built for guys who need more room in the seat, thighs, and quads. If you fall under this category, then State & Liberty has the perfect chino pants for you.
- Sizing: 30-35 | Cut: Slim | Material: 98% Cotton, 2% Elastane | Pleats vs Flat Front: Flat Front | Color: Mint Green, Mauve Orchard, Mineral, Pacific Blue, Dark Forest, and 6 others
According to Bonobos, the Italian Stretch Chinos are their most polished chinos today as they are made with polished chino in refined Italian fabric. The pants are also easily pairable with other closet essentials such as blazers and dress shirts. Gotta love a versatile pair of pants.
- Sizing: 28-38 | Cut: Slim | Material: Performance stretch twill fabric | Pleats vs Flat Front: Flat Front | Color: Charcoal, Dark Oregano, Fog
If looking for a pair of chinos that you can wear for traveling, then Vuor's Cascade Tech Chino Pants might be helpful as they are designed for travel, tee times, and everything in between. The pants are made with performance stretch twill fabric, and are water-resistant too for those icky weather days.
- Sizing: 32-60 | Cut: Classic | Material: 98% Cotton, 2% Spandex | Pleats vs Flat Front: Pleated | Color: Black, Timber Wolf, Navy, Cloud, Dark Pebble, Burma Grey
Another option from Dockers since we're huge fans of the brand, this time around we're rocking with the pleated chinos which also feature No Wrinkle® technology and added stretch. Under $50 as well, which you can't beat.
Why to Trust ONE37pm:
ONE37pm has been conducting product reviews in style for over four years. I have written dozens of reviews in men's fashion, comprised of hours of research, personal testing and vetting reviews from across the internet. Charlie Kolbrener, Senior Editor at ONE37pm, provided insight and personal experience with many products within this article as well—specifically the Ralph Lauren RRL Officer Chino Pant, $245 and Dickies 874 Work Pants. For every product included in a style roundup, we either personally test the garment or conduct thorough research to make sure we are recommending something that is of quality.
Facts About Men's Chinos:
- Chinos and khakis can be used interchangeably, and in many ways are the same. However there are some difference between the two and how they are classified. Khakis tend to be made with lightweight fabrics and have a dressier look, whereas chinos steer towards the more technical end.
- The origins of chino pants dates back to the 19th century during the Spanish-American War. Since the war was close to Asia—it was in the Philippines, they went the chino as it was a derivative of China.
- While there are some chinos dedicated to allowing stretch room, you don't want them too stretchy as that can actually cause the material to tear.
- As we mentioned earlier, the most common fabric for chino pants are cotton-twill. Of course chinos can be made with other material, but cotton-twill remains the most common.
More from one37pm
The 27 Best Men's Blazers to Spruce Up Your Wardrobe in 2023
OPEN YY Is a Brand That Blends Functional With Contemporary Horticulture
A Guide to the Best Lululemon Pants for Men: Every Pair Reviewed
The 25 Best Shampoos for Men With Any Hair Type
The Full History of LeBron James' Nike Deal
The 13 Best Touchscreen Laptops for 2023