Denim shorts aka jean shorts or jorts if you want to make it funky. Fellas, we're not sure how much attention you've been paying to what others around you are wearing, but in case you haven't noticed, jorts are kinda making a comeback. Sure jean shorts or any clothing items whose names you blend together are very much "Y2K," but like it or not, that's what's coming back in fashion so it's time to get with the program. While jorts have never technically gone out of style in the sense that certain brands have always carried them, they haven't exactly always been on the trending side either. With the demand now back, or the resurgence rather, many notable brands (including your faves) are now offering jorts. We've rounded up the best denim short for men to shop this season in case you want to get in on the action, but first, let's rewind a bit.
It's Jorts Season: The 15 Best Denim Shorts for Men to Shop in 2023
Behold the almighty jort
The History of Denim Shorts aka Jorts
The history of denim shorts actually dates back to the late 1960s/early 1970s, but during that time jorts were more popular amongst women as opposed to men. Through the decades, the style evolved as denim as a whole became a fashion staple, and by the time the 2000s rolled around, jorts were as much of a thing for men as what they were for women. The early 2020s has since begun to see Y2K fashion being popularized again (some of this is due to the pandemic and the rising interest from Gen Z'ers in the decade), so naturally jorts are making a comeback as well.
How We Picked the Best Denim Shorts:
Our selections for this article are a combination of tons of research, user reviews, and our very own experiences with jorts that our editors personally vetted and reviewed. Similar to any style roundup we do, it was important for us to have a balance of selections ranging in brands, prices, material, and the overall cut/style of the jeans.
The Best Denim Shorts, at a Glance:
- The Best Denim Jean Shorts for Men Overall - Levi's ’93 Cut Off Jean 7” Shorts, $69.50
- Best Athletic Denim Jean Shorts - True Nation Dazed & Deconstructed Denim Shorts, $59.50
- Most Affordable Denim Jean Shorts - Old Navy Slim Ripped Cut-Off Jean Shorts for Men, $14
- Best Classic Denim Jean Shorts - True Religion Ricky Straight Short, $59.50
- Best Luxury Denim Jean Shorts - VETEMENTS Raw-Cut Edge Denim Shorts, $725
The Best Denim Jean Shorts for Men Overall
- Material: Cotton | Sizes: 28-44 | Color: Pink Stonewash, Dancing Groove, In The Disco, Midnight Medal, Giant Steps | Fit: Mid Rise | Inseam: 7 in | Price: $69.50
Levi's, Levi's, Levi's—home of the denim. The 501 '93 Cut Off Jeans are quite literally the 501 ‘93 Straight Jeans in a cut off jean form. What you get is a classic 1990s White Men Can't Jump jean short that will have you looking like you jumped out of the year 1993.
Best Athletic Denim Jean Shorts
- Material: 60% Cotton, 25% Recycled Polyester, EcoVero Viscose, 3% T400 Fabric, 1% Lycra Spandex | Sizes: 42-62 | Color: Dazed Blue | Fit: Athletic | Inseam: 10 1/2 in | Price: $59.50
An option for all of you guys that run on the taller side. Deconstructed trends are right back in with the Y2K theme, and we'd say that deconstructed denim in general pairs very well with graphic tees. Just a little styling suggestion.
Most Affordable Denim Jean Shorts
- Material: Cotton 83%, Recycled Polyester 11%, Recycled Cotton 5%, Spandex 1% | Sizes: 28-40 | Color: Light Wash | Fit: Slim | Inseam: 9 in | Price: $14
You can always count on Old Navy to come through with the style and affordability. If you've never tried wearing jorts before and want to get in on the action without spending too much money, these $14 jorts are right up your alley.
Best Classic Denim Jean Shorts
- Material: 99% Cotton, 1% Elastane | Sizes: 28-42 | Color: ICYR | Fit: Slim | Inseam: 12 in | Price: $59.50
If you really want to get in on the Y2K trend, then cop these denim shorts from True Religion—one of the defining brands of the 2000s.
Best Luxury Denim Jean Shorts
- Material: Cotton | Sizes: XS, S, M | Color: Light Blue | Fit: Regular | Inseam: N/A | Price: $725
These denim shorts from Vetements run a little bit longer than the previous ones we've listed as they are designed to hit the knee. Anything from Vetements is going to be an investment, but we can guarantee the quality, durability, and timelessness associated with their products.
- Material: Cotton 95%, Recycled Cotton 5% | Sizes: 29-40 | Color: Medium Wash | Fit: Loose | Inseam: 81-84 cm | Price: $29
You can always get your 1990s and 2000s on with The GAP. These Loose Denim Shorts are a versatile banger that's great for the summer season.
- Material: 99% Cotton, 1% Spandex | Sizes: 29-40 | Color: Light Bleach, Midnight, Medium Stone, Washed Black | Fit: Relaxed | Inseam: 10 in | Price: $22.99
Wrangler is one of the kings of denim as well. Their Five Star Relaxed Fit Denim Shorts are comfortable, versatile, and affordable. There's also four colors to choose from and a current sale going on so... maybe you should cop all four? Just a suggestion.
- Material: 75% Cotton, 23% Polyester, 2% Spandex | Sizes: S-4XL | Color: Denim, Woodland, Black Denim, Wildman, American Flag | Fit: Relaxed | Inseam: 7 in | Price: $55
Born Primitive's counter argument to jorts being "back in style," is that "black denim shorts never went out of style in the first place," and you know what? They are absolutely right. The brand's FLEX Denim Shorts have an athletic fit, but are also "ridiculously stretchy," giving you a nice option.
- Material: Cotton | Sizes: 32-38 | Color: Vintage Blue, Classic Blue | Fit: Regular | Inseam: N/A | Price: $74.94
There's no denying that this is the godfather of all dad jean shorts, and that's just one of the many reasons why we love them—they look like they're straight out of the early 1990s.
- Material: Cotton | Sizes: 28-42 | Color: Wiscassett | Fit: Relaxed | Inseam: 6.5 in | Price: $89.50
Not only are these bad boys from Polo Ralph Lauren super comfortable, they are also eco-friendly as Ralph Lauren has a partnership with Better Cotton™ to improve cotton farming globally. Stylish and sustainable—love to see it.
- Material: 97% Cotton, 3% Spandex | Sizes: 29-38 | Color: Lazuli Blue, Black, Horse Hair, Oyster Pearl | Fit: Regular | Inseam: 7 in | Price: $30
Banana Republic is a brand that's great at giving you casual with a bit of a dressy undertone, and that's exactly what these denim shorts are—slightly casual, slightly dressy.
- Material: Cotton | Sizes: 29-38 | Color: Washed Blue | Fit: Regular | Inseam: 9 in | Price: $198
If you've ever given Todd Snyder's classic jeans a try, then you'll definitely like these shorts because they are the denim cut off version of those exact jeans except they have more room and a higher rise. A good buy that should last you a good while if you choose to make the splurge.
- Material: Cotton | Sizes: 29-36 | Color: Medium Blue | Fit: Relaxed | Inseam: 8.5 in | Price: $44.95
Just something light from PacSun. You can pair these shorts with a variety of tees, sweaters, and tanks for any of your casual outings this season.
- Material: Cotton | Sizes: 29-40 | Color: Tabit | Fit: Straight | Inseam: 9 in | Price: $29.99
A vintage-inspired pair of denim shorts from Lucky Brand that will have you feeling extra lucky. The $30 price tag is an eye-catcher as well. Great shorts for a great buy.
- Material: 92% Cotton, 6% Elastomultiester , 2% Elastane | Sizes: 28-38 | Color: Light Indigo Aged, Faded Cascade, Faded Clear Sky, Sun Faded Glacier Grey | Fit: Slim | Inseam: N/A | Price: $84
And another great jorts option that will have your entire outfit looking fire.
FAQs about denim shorts aka jorts
What To Look For in the Best Jorts?
The most important factors to look for in jorts are style, comfort, and inseam. These are things that are entirely dependent upon your personal preferences as some like their denim shorts in the form of a cut off, while others prefer their shorts closer to knee length. Liking the style and being comfortable is all that matters.
What are Jorts?
In short, jorts are jean shorts. In fact, some of the selections we included on this list are actually the cut off versions of certain jeans from brands.
How to Style Jorts?
You can style jorts with t-shirts (which is probably the most common), tanks, sweaters, and even blazers if you are looking for semi-casual/semi-professional look to wear to an event. For footwear, most choose to wear their jorts with sneakers, but you could also roll with sandals/flips flops, boat shoes, and select dress shoes as well.
How to Make Your Own Jorts:
How do you make your own jorts? Simple. Grab a pair of scissors and cut your jeans into shorts. It would be wise to put your jeans on and take some measurements beforehand so you can have a general idea of how the jeans will look as shorts, but you can technically eyeball it if you want.
More from one37pm
The 26 Best Graphic Tees for Men to Rock Every Season
20 NYC Streetwear Brands to Keep an Eye On
The 16 Best Affordable Watch Brands to Shop Right Now
The 10 Best Lululemon Shorts for Men on Their Site Right Now
The 27 Best Men's Blazers to Spruce Up Your Wardrobe in 2023
OPEN YY Is a Brand That Blends Functional With Contemporary Horticulture